When you first notice mould on your ceiling, you immediately know that it is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with quickly. You can’t ignore the problem, or else it will become a much bigger issue in no time.
But how do you handle the problem? Should you hire a professional mould removal specialist? Can you try to remove mould from the ceiling yourself?
Many homeowners think they can easily get rid of ceiling mould by using bleach and water, and there is no need to hire a specialist for the job. But there are several drawbacks to attempting DIY mould removal that most people are unaware of. You need to know that even a small mistake when trying to remove mould could make things worse.
In this blog, we will discuss the dangers associated with DIY mould removal from ceiling. It will help you decide whether you should attempt DIY mould removal or opt for expert mould remediation. So, let’s get started.
Dangers of DIY Ceiling Mould Removal
Here are the reasons why you should avoid trying to remove mould from the ceiling yourself:
- Health Problems
The average homeowner doesn’t have the proper equipment and protective gear needed to remove mould safely. And trying to remove mould from the ceiling without the right tools and equipment can be dangerous. Mould can cause many health problems such as allergic reactions, asthma attacks, skin rash and irritation, respiratory infections, nasal issues, etc. So, if you don’t have the proper equipment, it’s better to leave it to the experts.
- Unable to Remove All The Mould
When it comes to ceiling mould removal, only cleaning the affected area is not enough. You need to identify the source to uproot the problem. Professional mould removal specialists come equipped with various tools to determine the start of the mould infestation in your home. It allows them to remove all the mould.
- Falling Off The Ladder
To remove mould from the ceiling, you will need to climb up a ladder. Now, climbing up a ladder is not safe, especially for those with balance issues or people who fear heights.
- Exposing Yourself To Chemicals
Most DIY mould removal techniques involve using harsh chemicals. Prolonged exposure to these chemicals can cause respiratory problems and many other health issues. On the other hand, professional mould removal experts use safe and eco-friendly products that are safe for your family and the environment.
- Failing To Identify Different Types of Mould
The first step to removing mould from a ceiling is determining what type of mould it is. Different types of mould require other cleanup methods. So, if you can’t identify the type of mould growing in your home, you may not be able to eliminate the problem.
So, this is why it is a good idea to hire a mould removal expert to help you remove mould from your ceiling. He will assess the problem and help you get rid of mould quickly. Please go through our other blogs for more tips and advice on mould removal.
People have always been concerned about outdoor air quality and pollution levels. But only a few talk about the indoor air. We may not realise it, but the air in our home is also chock-full of pollutants and contaminants such as Volatile Organic Compounds, bacteria, viruses, dust, pollen, dander, mould spores, etc. If you do not improve the indoor air quality in the first place, it could lead to several health problems.
In this blog, we will tell you the importance of mould removal. We will discuss how mould can affect your health and why you should get rid of them as soon as possible. So, let’s get started.
What Is Mould?
Mould is a fungus that can be of different colours, including black, white, green, orange, etc. These small organisms usually grow in dim and dark places. They thrive in humid surroundings and spread by producing lightweight spores. Areas with high moisture in your house can cause mould to grow rapidly.
Is There Mould In Your Home?
Being a naturally occurring organic fungus, mould can grow both indoors and out. So, even if you don’t currently have mould growing in your home, mould spores can get into your home from outside and start growing in walls, floors, and furniture if conditions are suitable. Mediums through which mould spores can enter your house include doors, heating and air conditioning vents, pets, clothing and shoes, etc.
The most common signs of mould infestation include:
- Itchy or watery eyes, a stuffy nose, a scratchy throat, etc.
- You notice a spot, and there is a nearby source of moisture
- You see peeling of the material on which it is growing
- There’s a musty, earthy smell, etc.
Where Does Mould Grow?
Mould usually grows in areas with little light and a lot of moisture. These include around windows, in sinks and bathtubs, in basements, etc. However, mould can grow almost anywhere provided conditions are right.
Reasons To Remove Mould Right Away
Here are the reasons why you should consider removing mould in your home immediately:
Health Issues Caused By Mould
According to the NHS and WHO, people who inhale many mould spores every day are susceptible to respiratory infections, allergic rhinitis, asthma, etc. Prolonged mould exposure can trigger symptoms like skin rashes, red eyes, sneezing, runny nose, etc. It can also lead to other problems: nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, constant tiredness, coughing, difficulty breathing, etc.
People who are vulnerable to mould include infants, people with pulmonary diseases and asthma, and the elderly.
Mould and Structural Damage
In addition to causing health problems, mould can also cause structural damage. Mould feed on fabrics, wood, paper, etc. They can cause these surfaces to deteriorate much faster. The most common signs of deterioration include discolouration and weakening.
So, these are some of the major reasons why you should consider early mould removal. If you notice any sign of mould infestation in your home, make sure you contact a mould removal expert for the right advice. Please go through our other blogs for more tips and advice.
Mould is a fungus that comes in various shapes and colours such as grey, green, black, and brown. Particularly, black mould looks unpleasant, and it can eventually lead to permanent damage to the paint, furnishings, panels of your home, as well as to your clothes and other belongings.
Black mould removal in Melbourne is a challenging part of property maintenance. It is because the mould signposts the problems regarding moisture in the home. And if left untreated for long, mould can cause expensive repair bills. It will also lower the value of your property.
When it comes to effective mould removal, it requires a multi-prong approach. And that is best performed by the experts. Dig through the following passages to learn more in this regard.
Problems with DIY Mould Removal
A DIY approach to mould removal will not get you to the root of the mould problem. It can only temporarily and superficially remove the mould stains. It may also spread mould spores, making the situation even worse.
Trying or undertaking mould removal all by you also risks ignoring the deeper cause of your mould infestation problem. The fact is black mould can indicate serious structural issues or plumbing that is leaking in your home.
If left overlooked and untreated for long, these leaks can lead to highly expensive repair jobs. And only to make the situation even more complicated, some insurance companies may refuse to pay for fixing this type of damage.
However, by calling the mould removal and remediation experts, you can easily deal with those problems.
BLACK MOULD REMOVAL FROM WALLS
Black mould prefers walls because:
- Drapes, furniture, and other objects closer to walls prevent proper airflow and encourage mould growth
- Plumbing leaks in walls fuel mould growth
- Damp insulation increases dampness and makes it a perfect feeding and breeding ground for mould
- Leaks around window and door frames cause mould growth on the wall panels
The professional team of mould removal in Melbourne will measure moisture content, humidity, dew point, temperature, and particle count for locating the cause and identifying any structural problems.
They use a safe and approved process for removing the mould from walls causing no damage to paintwork or delicate fabrics. Their products are safe for all surfaces such as timber, concrete, and gyprock.
BLACK MOULD REMOVAL FROM CEILINGS
Ceilings tend to grow black mould issues since:
- Warm air gathers near the ceiling that creates a cosy environment for mould growth, especially in bathrooms where the air is moist.
- Usually, ceiling areas lack adequate ventilation
- Ceilings grow mould from plumbing or leaking roofs
- Storm commonly damages roofing, causing water damage to ceilings
Black mould on the ceilings shows that you may have a serious problem such as leaking plumbing or roof. It is crucial to identify the cause of ceiling mould quickly before it causes serious damage to ceiling panels and roofing structures. But relax, as long as you have experts of mould removal in Melbourne to help you out, you can have complete peace of mind! So, if you are facing any such problems, consult a mould removal expert today.