Keep Indoor Air Quality and Pollution in check with this simple task!

mould removal Melbourne

People have always been concerned about outdoor air quality and pollution levels. But only a few talk about the indoor air. We may not realise it, but the air in our home is also chock-full of pollutants and contaminants such as Volatile Organic Compounds, bacteria, viruses, dust, pollen, dander, mould spores, etc. If you do not improve the indoor air quality in the first place, it could lead to several health problems.

In this blog, we will tell you the importance of mould removal. We will discuss how mould can affect your health and why you should get rid of them as soon as possible. So, let’s get started.

What Is Mould?

Mould is a fungus that can be of different colours, including black, white, green, orange, etc. These small organisms usually grow in dim and dark places. They thrive in humid surroundings and spread by producing lightweight spores. Areas with high moisture in your house can cause mould to grow rapidly.

Is There Mould In Your Home?

Being a naturally occurring organic fungus, mould can grow both indoors and out. So, even if you don’t currently have mould growing in your home, mould spores can get into your home from outside and start growing in walls, floors, and furniture if conditions are suitable. Mediums through which mould spores can enter your house include doors, heating and air conditioning vents, pets, clothing and shoes, etc.

The most common signs of mould infestation include:

  • Itchy or watery eyes, a stuffy nose, a scratchy throat, etc.
  • You notice a spot, and there is a nearby source of moisture
  • You see peeling of the material on which it is growing
  • There’s a musty, earthy smell, etc.

Where Does Mould Grow?

Mould usually grows in areas with little light and a lot of moisture. These include around windows, in sinks and bathtubs, in basements, etc. However, mould can grow almost anywhere provided conditions are right.

Reasons To Remove Mould Right Away

Here are the reasons why you should consider removing mould in your home immediately:

Health Issues Caused By Mould

According to the NHS and WHO, people who inhale many mould spores every day are susceptible to respiratory infections, allergic rhinitis, asthma, etc. Prolonged mould exposure can trigger symptoms like skin rashes, red eyes, sneezing, runny nose, etc. It can also lead to other problems: nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, constant tiredness, coughing, difficulty breathing, etc.

People who are vulnerable to mould include infants, people with pulmonary diseases and asthma, and the elderly.

Mould and Structural Damage

In addition to causing health problems, mould can also cause structural damage. Mould feed on fabrics, wood, paper, etc. They can cause these surfaces to deteriorate much faster. The most common signs of deterioration include discolouration and weakening.

Bottom Line

So, these are some of the major reasons why you should consider early mould removal. If you notice any sign of mould infestation in your home, make sure you contact a mould removal expert for the right advice. Please go through our other blogs for more tips and advice.